Since Im about ready to head home (sadly I have only a week left) I figured its appropriate to reflect on my travels/adventures and share some of what Ive learned in the past 6 months. (and since ill be in the airport for 5 hours waiting to meet my parents, with nothing else to do…) I hope that you might be able to learn something as well from my reflections.
First I think Ive finally learned not to be disappointed when I speak and someone asks me where im from. (Perhaps I have finally actually accepted the fact that Im from the US.) Mostly everyone who asks is being friendly, (and possibly wondering why im carrying mate or buying tortas fritas – I know this because they ask) and with the accent I have I would probably ask too if I were in their shoes.
I also have learned to depend on others more. Although my prideful self still cringes every once in a while when I have to ask for directions or have my Spanish corrected, for the most part Ive learned to enjoy these things. It helps me remember there are other people in this world, that I am far, far from perfect, that whether we like it or not or whether we realize it or not, we really are dependent on others to live. (I do have to admit though that I love it when someone asks me for directions and I am able to help them!, but then again that’s what its about, give and take.)
I feel that throughout my time here I have had a lot of time alone to think, something that I don’t get as often at home, when Im always running from one event to the next. And even though Ive had a lot of time alone, Ive learned a lot about people and how I interact with them. Ive (re)learned that I am too shy and too quiet sometimes, that Im prideful and selfish at times (I actually already knew that one, but its humbling to be reminded of that). I have also learned that I can be more of a free spirit then I thought, Im adventurous, I love to learn, I also love to know people much more than just on a surface level (thank you dteam!) (to my friends here, hope you’ve enjoyed all the questions!). I have (re)discovered that I will never be who I want to be without God and that fellowship is really important to who I am. Also I would much rather be hot or cold than lukewarm.
Also I have had more adventures since my last update, but I guess youll just have to wait till I get home to hear all of them. One of them does however involve a beach at night with a box and some wine ;) Another involves Cabo Polonio – basically amazing – there are no words.
No comments:
Post a Comment