Reasons why I love mi iglesia:
One Sunday we sang a Johnny Cash song in English, the normal hymns in Spanish, a hymn in German, and a song in an indigenous language that if I name I will probably be mistaken, but I think it was GuaranĂ.
It is very traditional and follows all the Lutheran liturgy, but it is also very informal and the pastor will often stop and speak directly to people throughout the service and it feels a lot more like a family than a “holier then thou” type of place.
Lots of times we sit and have coffee after the sermon and talk about everything from plans for the youth group, to questions about God, to how excited we are the weather is finally getting warmer.
Its 3 blocks from my house and starts at 11:30
Even though the congregation is really small (the most people I saw at one service – 30 because there was a baptism, the least one week when it was really cold – 3) they always have someone to play the organ
The pastor preaches from God’s word and its good.
I also finally found out about and was able to go to a Bible study for the youth in the church. (side note “youth” is anywhere from 13 to 30) It was a little different from what I am used to, but it was really good to just fellowship with others. One thing that I have missed a lot is just studying the Bible with other people and having community and accountability. So yay for finding a Bible study!
Hoorah! Sounds like a lovely church, Megan, happy to hear how you are doing!
ReplyDelete! This sounds pretty amazing !
ReplyDeleteAlso, bonus points for liturgy. I suspect I would like it if I went to a church with one.
wow M it seems like you were born for Uruguay. and a beach city there too? looks like all those flip flops are coming in handy... do any uruguyans have red hair? :P
ReplyDeleteI'm taking 345 this semester.. we should compare notes!
@Hannah - thanks, look forward to exchanging stories when i get back!
ReplyDelete@Tim - it is, and yes i can see you liking a church with liturgy
@Jazz - ha yeah there is also beach 3 blocks from my house, although its still a little cold here, that doesnt stop me from using my flip flops :)
There are infact uruguayans with red hair, i am not a complete anomaly here, although they are very few and far between.
Also I hope you got a good group for 345!