I’ve come to realize that as much of an introvert as I am, I love to be busy and at least be around people. In the past week I have had more free time than I probably had combined since the start of this year and even with the internet at my fingertips and a new city to explore I found myself bored. As much as enjoy and even savor my alone time I enjoy being busy and investing in relationships. I may not be the social butterfly at parties, but I like having lots of people close by to spend time with one on one or in small groups. I have also learned that I am very out of practice at being still and listening to God. I feel that in part the culture in the US has made it very easy to ignore the importance of resting in God. Not that the Bible doesn’t teach and re-teach us the importance of rest and stillness. Jesus even gave us a living example of that. Does anyone else find it astonishing that God incarnate found it important to leave crowds of people in need of his teaching and healing to go to a quiet place and spend time with his Father? If Jesus can’t survive on this earth without spending a little time alone with his Dad, I’m not going to pretend to be any better. Here’s to practicing.
But don’t worry, I haven’t spent all my time in my room curled up under the blanks, which is by the way the only place I have felt completely warm since my arrival (I only did that once on the day it rained so hard some of the busses stopped running because of flooding). On Thursday night I went out with some of the other students studying abroad to mingle at someone’s house and then head to “El Club” (yes the name of the place is actually El Club). Of course no one who’s anyone leaves to go to the club before 2am! Dios mío, la vida noche. Although I have to say, since I’m not one for the night scene, I think my favorite part of the night was watching the lightning storm over the river while we were waiting to get in. It was by far one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.
On Sunday after church I meet up with Christiane, one of my new friends from Germany, to go to the “feria”. The feria is an outdoor market that sells everything you can imagine. Its like a giant Wal-Mart but in the street and by local people and better. There were fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh pastas, dried goods, spices, cheeses, meats and eggs, live chickens (I think they were for eating), bunnies, goldfish, puppies and hamsters (these were for pets – not eating). There were cd’s, vinyl’s, books, movies, all types of clothing, shoes, pots and pans, knives, cutting boards, tools, electronics, yarn, yards of fabric, hand made wooden furniture, the list goes on. If you haven’t caught on yet I was very impressed by the sheer diversity of items for sale. The scene was made complete when we past bya preacher, holding his Bible, microphone on and speaking to the crowds as they streamed by.
I’ve walked and ran on la rambla a few more times. I think what I love most about it is how different the water can be depending on the day, and that the sky is always gorgeous there. I’ve also spent more time inside of malls then I have in the probably the past 2 years. They are warm and give me an excuse to leave the house.
ah Megan, you definitely sound like you're having a pretty good experience.
ReplyDeleteI can so relate to the "not spending enough time resting in God". But, you'll be fine.
Take care, and God bless you.
PS: I miss you; what will happen this semester:-(
Hey Megan Love! I apologize for taking FOREVER to respond to your lovely posts--I miss you mucho!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are doing well and learning lots of new things. I definitely relate to the problem of wanting to spend time with people and yet rest in God. Maybe one night, you could ask your friends to go watch the stars or thunderstorm or whatever it is instead of going to "El Club"--a lot of times, people will be thankful for an invitation to rest, because in reality, we all want to rest and yet want friends. The best are the friends you can rest with. I am sure some people down there will be thankful for a friend who opened up a different door for them :)
I love you and pray for you--skype soon, please!
~Hannah Perskie